Effective Management in Homeless Services Module
The module is delivered through a mixture of lectures, workshops and seminars over three two day blocks (6 days in total) facilitated by lecturers from DCU’s School of Nursing and Human Sciences and a range of management experts from Ireland and abroad. The content and assessment is informed by the work practice contexts of managers undertaking the module. This module is currently the only homeless specific, third level managers training module available in Ireland and is accredited at Level 8 with 10 credits on the Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) National Framework of Qualifications.
On successful completion of this module, participants will be able to:
- Critique styles of management and leadership (including personal style) and discuss their impact on organisational culture and performance.
- Communicate with individuals and teams in a way that promotes productive work performance and respectful relationships.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the operational supervision and support of key working staff engaged in assessment and support planning practice.
- Discuss project management techniques used in their own practice including goal setting, working collaboratively intra and inter agency, risk and contingency planning/management, managing project resources and project communication structures.
- Implement flexible and informed approaches to organisational decision making and performance.
- Analyse the socio-political contexts of service provision, evaluate service delivery and undertake change management where required in relation to their own organisation.
The module encompasses the following areas:
Module Orientation Tuesday 5th February 2019 (9.30am – 1.00pm)
Attendance at orientation is essential, as participants will receive student ID cards as well as important information regarding course structure and assessment and online learning platforms. This session will not be repeated.
Block 1: Caring for Self/ Caring for Staff - Monday and Tuesday 11th and 12th February 2019 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Leadership style and behaviours
- Emotional Intelligence
- Motivation and Self Care (resilience)
Block 2: Project Management and Strategic Management - Monday and Tuesday 25th and 26th March 2019 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Project Management skills
- Risk Management
- Strategic Management including change management.
Block 3: Supporting Effective Practice in Socio-Political Contexts - Monday and Tuesday 29th April and 30th April 2019 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Irish homeless socio-political contexts - relationships with service management
- Prevention, Protection and Progression – tackling homelessness together
- Assessment and support planning – the managers role
- Effective staff supervision practice
Applicants are required to hold a current management role in the homeless services sector.
Assessment will be continuous throughout the module focusing on the initiation and management of a service improvement within the practice setting. This will be communicated/assessed through an in class presentation and a report.
Application Process, Funding Support and Attendance Requirements
Applications are now being invited for this module which will commence in February 2019 in Dublin City University’s School of Nursing and Human Sciences, Dublin City University, Collins Avenue, Dublin 9. Applications will be accepted up until 5pm on Friday, 7th December, 2018. Please see Attendance policy for further details.
How to Apply:
Application forms can be requested from the DRHE Training Administrator at Ph: 01 2226889 or E: email@example.com or can be downloaded from the Dublin Region Homeless Executive website using the following web-link: https://www.homelessdublin.ie/our-work/training/effective-management-in-homeless-services-module
Once received/downloaded, the application form must be completed in full (in typed format), printed, SIGNED, dated and posted, along with the applicants passport photograph to, Colette Brennan Training Administrator, Dublin Region Homeless Executive, Dublin City Council, Block 1 Floor 2, Civic Offices, Christchurch, Dublin 8.
Incomplete or unsigned applications or applications received by the DRHE after the closing date of 5pm on Friday, 7th December, 2018 will not be considered.
As the offer of places on the Managers module will be based solely on the information provided in the application form, it is vital that applicants ensure they provide clear, relevant information and complete all sections of the application form in full. Incomplete applications will not be processed by the DRHE and Dublin City University.
Partial Funding Contribution towards the Effective Management in Homeless Services Module Fee:
In order to support the staff working in the homeless sector in relation to the up skilling of sectoral managers, the Dublin Region Homeless Executive have put in place provision for a partial funding contribution of up to €500 per student, towards the cost of the module fee (The total module fee currently for 2019 applicants is €1,000). This partial funding contribution will be made available for approved nominated managers who secure a place on the Effective Management in Homeless Services module.
Please note that attendance at the following elements of the module is compulsory.
Orientation: Tuesday 5th February 2019 (9.30am – 1.00pm)
Block 1: Monday and Tuesday 11th & 12th February 2019 (9.15am – 5pm) Block 2: Monday and Tuesday 25th & 26th March 2019 (9.15am – 5pm) Block 3: Monday and Tuesday 29th & 30th April 2019 (9.15am – 5pm)
Organisations wishing to nominate managers for consideration for partial funding contribution towards the module fee must complete the official Nomination and Consent Forms (available online at: https://www.homelessdublin.ie/our-work/training/effective-management-in-homeless-services-module forward to Colette Brennan Training Administrator, Dublin Region Homeless Executive, Dublin City Council, Block 1 Floor 2, Civic Offices, Christchurch, Dublin 8 no later than 5pm on Friday, 7th December, 2018.