What are my Social Welfare Entitlements?

Please contact the Homeless Persons Unit on 1800 724 724 for payments and advice regarding social welfare entitlements.

Where to find information:


Oisin House, 212-213 Pearse Street, Dublin 2
Monday to Friday 10am to 12noon  

Women and families

77 Gardiner Street, Dublin 1
Monday to Friday 10am to 11:30am and 2pm to 3:30pm  

New communities 

(includes Asylum Seekers, Refugees and persons from EU Accession countries)
Please call 01 8585100 or access the service directly on 77 Upper Gardiner Street, Dublin 1 from 10am to 11:30am, 2pm to 3:30pm.  

There are three main categories of payment:  

  • Basic payment ‘Weekly or Living Money’ This is intended to be a short-term payment. It is often payable pending the award of another longer-term allowance or when no other scheme is available to the claimant.
  • Supplements ‘add-on’ to basic payment Following award of Basic SWA or DSP claim, supplements may be payable to cover certain recurring expenses, such as rent, travel or diet. This depends on the individual circumstances in each case and is subject to verification.
  • Exceptional Needs Payments (ENPs)

These are once off payments towards unforeseen expenses that cannot reasonably be met from within weekly income such as: Clothing, Travel Expenses (to HPU office) and Rent Deposits.  

The HPU will also assist you in making a claim for mainstream Social Welfare Payments including Job Seekers Allowance, Disability Allowance, Child Benefit, etc.  

If you don’t have a medical card, talk to the HPU and apply for one – don’t wait until you become sick. Applications for medical cards can be ‘fast tracked’. Please contact 01 7036100.  

Community Welfare Officers in the HPU can also provide information and advice on a wide range of issues, which impact on the day to day lives of people experiencing homelessness.  

You will need to obtain proof of means – details of any source of income or employment history.

1800 724 724

Homeless Persons Unit