Please find enclosed released detail on the level of access to homeless services, move on to tenancies in the Dublin region for Q1 2016 (January to March) and official figures from the Spring (April) count on rough sleeping, which took place across the Dublin region on the night of the national Census April 24th into the morning of April 25th 2016.
TENANCY CREATION AND SUPPORT
The four Dublin local authorities delivered a record number of tenancies in Q1 for any quarter recorded to date, with the provision of 413 tenancies. Of the 413 tenancies, (141) local authority lettings, (161) Housing Assistance Payment, (37)Private Rented, (28) Long-term supported accommodation and (46) Approved Housing Bodies Lettings. Among these new tenants, 85% (350 tenants) are in receipt of post-settlement housing support and 63 tenants are living independently without housing support.
TENANCY PROTECTION AND SUSTAINMENT
The Tenancy Protection Service (TPS) has been contacted by 8,079 households in the Dublin region between June 2014 and end of March 2016. Nearly half of these households 4,107 were considered to be at risk of homelessness and progressed to active case management. At March 31st 2016, a total of 2,234 households (28% of all contacts) had been protected and sustained under the TPS via a rent uplift (1,914); advocacy (240) or re-housing (80).
USE OF EMERGENCY ACCOMMODATION (INFOGRAPHIC HERE)
A total of 3,777 adults used emergency accommodation during Q 1 2016. Of these, one adult in five (20%; 752) were new presentations assessed as homeless and placed in emergency accommodation. The remaining 80% (3.025) are repeat presentations. The nightly placement rate into emergency accommodation for adults using the local authority placement service and the homeless freephone averaged 270 persons over the quarter. Of the 2,579 beds available in emergency accommodation in Dublin on the last day of the quarter (31st March), only 2 were unoccupied.
SPRING COUNT ON ROUGH SLEEPING 2016 (INFOGRAPHIC HERE)
The DRHE has been responsible for the delivery of rough sleeping counts in Dublin since 2007. The DRHE worked with the Central Statistics Offices (CSO) to deliver the Spring Count on the night of the national Census on April 24th-25th 2016. A minimum of 102 persons are confirmed as rough sleeping in Dublin in Spring (April) 2016. This is a 12% increase since Winter 2015 (when 91 persons were discovered sleeping rough). It represents a 3% reduction since Spring 2015 when 105 persons were confirmed as sleeping rough.
4,262 beds were occupied on the night of the Spring count in 2016 (including adults and children). This is compared with 3,766 beds occupied on night of the Winter count, thus confirming the provision of an additional 496 beds in the past six months.
Of the 102 persons sleeping rough:
- 84 were male, 16 were female and 2 were unknown
- 64 were Irish, 17 were non-Irish and 21 were unknown
- 20 were aged 18-30 years, 27 were aged 31-40, 15 were aged 41-50, 9 were aged 51-60, 5 were aged 61+and 26were unknown
Of the 102 persons identified by count, 62 persons have accessed homeless services, 9 persons have not accessed services and the detail is unknown for 31 persons as they were bedded down and asleep during the count. The state-funded Housing First Service that provides on street outreach continues to work with persons rough sleeping on a nightly basis.
The Merchants Quay Ireland Night Café continues in use. It provides a service for persons who do not access emergency accommodation. A substantial number of persons have progressed from rough sleeping and accessing the Night Café into accommodation, through the assertive engagement provided by the service. On the night of the Spring Count 2016, 69 persons accessed this facility.
DELIVERY OF RAPID BUILD HOUSING PROGRAMME
22 units are currently completed by Dublin City Council in Baile na Laochra, Poppintree, Ballymun 11 and have been allocated to families. Dublin City Council are working towards the further delivery 131 Rapid Build Housing Units. Work has commenced onsite in Drimnagh, Ballyfermot and Finglas in April 2016 with work commencing in Belcamp, Malahide Rd commencing July 2016. The four Dublin local authorities are working towards the further delivery of a further 350 units approximately across the Dublin region to address the temporary accommodation needs of families in commercial hotels.
TOTAL MOVES TO TENANCIES BY TENANCY TYPE Qtr 1, 2013 to Qtr 2, 2016 (graph below outlines)
 Housing First Service is a joint service provided by the Peter Mc Verry Trust and Focus Ireland on behalf of the four Dublin local authorities and the Health Service Executive. They have responsibility for engaging with and responding to the accommodation and support needs of people sleeping rough in the Dublin region.